Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Favorite Songs

Here is my first top ten list, my favorite songs (limited to one per artist).  If you are not familiar with any of these performances, I encourage you to check them out.  If you would like to share any of your favorite songs, please comment.

Update (6/2017):  This is what my list looked like about 5 years ago.  Since then, I would add "Watch 'em Burn" by Joanne Shaw Taylor and "Runaway" by Samantha Fish.

1.  Baby Please Don't Go
Ted Nugent
Double Live Gonzo

2.  Couldn't Stand the Weather
Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
Live at Montreux 1982 & 1985

3.  Catfish Blues
Jimi Hendrix
Blues

4.  Got My Mojo Working
Pinetop Perkins
After Hours

5.  Boogie Chillen
Beau Jocque & the Zydeco Hi-Rollers
Give Him Cornbread, Live!

6.  Goin' Down Slow
Howlin' Wolf
Howlin' Wolf/Moanin' in the Moonlight

7.  Rego Park Blues
Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters
Blues Guitar Virtuoso Live in Europe

8.  How Blue Can You Get?
B.B. King
Live at the Regal

9.  Jimmy's Rude Mood
Jimmy Thackery
Guitar

10.  Give Me Back My Wig
Hound Dog Taylor
Deluxe Edition

Amazon MP3 Clips:


As you can see, my favorite style is extremely energetic blues with a focus on the electric guitar.  However, I do like all styles of blues because the same elements carry through to some extent.  The main things I like about blues are the simple form, the honest emotions, the wide range of improvisation, and the intensity that is present in all its great performers.

No comments:

Post a Comment